Vestry House Museum is also home to the Waltham Forest Archives and Local Studies Library.
Following government guidance we are closed until further notice. We are monitoring emails remotely, and will reply as fully as possible in current circumstances. For further information please email email@example.com
We can help you if you are interested in researching the following:
- Your family history
- The history of your house or street
- The development of the local area and local communities
- Subjects for a school project or for academic research
We hold on one site a wide range of manuscript, printed and pictorial resources for research into all aspects of the history of the Waltham Forest.
We hold wide-ranging primary sources for the history of our local community.
These include records of:
- Anglican parishes since 1575 (including parish registers)
- Chingford Mount Cemetery
- Local authorities
- Places of worship
- Properties and historic buildings
- Clubs and societies
Extensive name indexes and local census returns are available in our searchroom.
Local studies library
The range of printed sources available in our searchroom includes:
- Local newspapers
- Trade directories
- Electoral registers
- Council minutes and reports
- Ordnance Survey and other maps
- Secondary sources including biographies, histories of organisations, pamphlets and ephemera
Subject lists of secondary sources held in the Local Studies Library can be viewed below. Please note these lists are a work in progress and some files contain limited information.
Searchroom access is by appointment only.
Telephone: 020 8496 4391
Opening times: Thursday to Saturday from 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm.