Vestry House Museum is also home to the Waltham Forest Archives and Local Studies Library.
We can help you if you are interested in researching the following:
- Your family history
- The history of your house or street
- The development of the local area and local communities
- Subjects for a school project or for academic research
We hold on one site a wide range of manuscript, printed and pictorial resources for research into all aspects of the history of the Waltham Forest.
We hold wide-ranging primary sources for the history of our local community.
These include records of:
- Anglican parishes since 1575 (including parish registers)
- Chingford Mount Cemetery
- Local authorities
- Places of worship
- Properties and historic buildings
- Clubs and societies
Extensive name indexes and local census returns are available in our searchroom.
Local studies library
The range of printed sources available in our searchroom includes:
- Local newspapers
- Trade directories
- Electoral registers
- Council minutes and reports
- Ordnance Survey and other maps
- Secondary sources including biographies, histories of organisations, pamphlets and ephemera
Subject lists of secondary sources held in the Local Studies Library can be viewed below. Please note these lists are a work in progress and some files contain limited information.
Searchroom access is by appointment only.
Telephone: 020 8496 4381
Opening times:Thursday to Saturday from 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm.